Monday, May 2, 2016

Movie Night- When Marnie Was There

5/2/2016


When Marnie Was There

Welcome to Movie Night with Brandon, which is basically my excuse to discuss and review any film I feel like. Whether it's a brand new film or an older one, it's whatever I feel like doing. In this series, I won't be giving grades because I don't feel that they're necessary for this particular series. With all that out of the way, let's talk about some movies. 

I first heard about this film a few months ago and I was interested to check it out. I had not previously seen a Studio Ghibli film before and I was curious to check this one out. So when I saw the Blu-Ray was on sale at Best Buy I decided to buy it and check this film out, and I am extremely glad that I did. This movie genuinely left me entranced and it captivated my thoughts for days afterword. I once again have to strongly, strongly recommend this film immediately even before the rest of the review because this film desperately deserves your attention.  Even if you are not a person who likes Anime films, please give it a shot. I made my mother give it a shot and she seemed to really like it as well and she doesn't find Anime all that appealing. 

At the start of the film we get introduced to Anna. A shy girl with asthma who doesn't seem very happy. She doesn't have many friends and she is emotionally distant from her adopted mother. When she has an asthma attack at school, Anna's doctor recommends that she stay with her guardians relatives. They live in a more rural area where the air is cleaner which they believe will be beneficial to her. While she is staying there she discovers a house on the edge of a marsh that she becomes obsessed with. I will the the synopsis there because it is a film better experienced with no more knowledge than that. 

I have completely fallen in love with this film. I have seen it three times now and I desire to watch it again soon. The animation in the film is always stunning with beautiful landscapes that completely engage the audience. Hand drawn animation seems to be becoming less and less prevalent in today's films, but that also helps this film feel a little more timeless in turn. The music is also always fitting with the story with very alluring instrumentals. The voice casting is also very good, the only flaw being John C. Reilly not blending well with the film. Hiromasa Yonebayashi's direction of the story is always spot on, exploring mature themes that children can relate to and crafting an ending that packs a formidable emotional punch. 

Where the film is strongest for me is in it's characters, particularly that of Anna. I relate to her character immensely in the film. I am a fairly introverted person and I have trouble with connecting with people at times. So as the film goes on and you go on this journey with Anna, you become emotionally invested in where she is as a person. You become so attached to her character because of how real and grounded she feels. This made for one of the most emotional film finales for me as I cried like a child. With the exception of a few Pixar films like last years incredible Inside Out, children's films don't really explore these deeper and more serious emotions. While a fun kids movie is enjoyable now and then, these films are imperative to see as well because they are so much more profound and send a much greater message. 

When Marnie Was There was a magnificent animation film with believable characters and beautiful visuals. Like all films in this series of Movie Night reviews, this should absolutely be on your watch list especially if you have kids. It is a film that will leave you breathless and make you fall in love with it's astounding story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment