Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Movie Night- The Lobster

6/7/2016



The Lobster

Welcome to Movie Night with Brandon, which is basically my excuse to discuss and review any film I feel like. Whether it's a brand new film or an older one, it's whatever I feel like doing.  With all that out of the way, let's talk about some movies. 

I am so glad I finally got a chance to check this movie out. For those of you who don't know, this film is just now getting it's release in the US, thanks to the acquisition of the distribution rights by A24. While it was released in seemingly every other country last year, I finally had the pleasure of checking this film out.

The Lobster is a film set in a near, dystopian future where being single has been outlawed. When you become single, you are taken to a place called "The Hotel", where you are given 45 days to find a suitable mate. If you fail to do so, you are then transformed into an animal of your choosing. I don't want to give anything else away because the twists and turns this film takes are genuinely interesting and takes you to some cool places. Once again I have to declare in this review that this is not a film for anyone. It is a very different film and it did receive a walk-out in my screening. While I think films like this deserve your attention and you should always remain open-minded while watching a movie, don't say I didn't warn you.

I have to say, while this isn't the film I was expecting based on the trailer, I liked a lot more than I had anticipated. This movie felt so original and unique that it was hard not to admire it. The entire cast of the film was spectacular in their performances and everyone felt very unique in their own way. Colin Farrell giving some of the best work I've ever seen from him in years, he gained 40 pounds just for the role. While I don't think gaining weight is impressive by itself, but that coupled with his performance makes for a very commendable achievement. Rachael Weisz, Léa Seydoux, and John C. Reilley all give excellent performances as well. 

This film also manages to blend very drastic tonal shifts seamlessly. Going from funny to uncomfortable without feeling tone deaf is a very challenging thing to accomplish and this film does it very maturely. The deadpan delivery creates for an authentic feeling of this strange world this film creates, while also contributing to some very funny moments. Yorgos Lanthimos directs this film with absolute precision, taking a concept that can be very ridiculous and turning it into a very interesting satire on the current state of dating and how 21st century has interpretation love. The cinematography in this film is also immaculate, showcasing beautiful scenery which is a stark contrast to the dark story the film is telling. Another thing I want to mention is the score of the film which is truly fantastic, coinciding with the film. It contributes to the film, but is never emotionally manipulating its audience. 

This is only the second film so far this year that I have loved this much. It's very original story alongside is unmistakably dazzling craftsmanship creates on of the best films I've seen so far this year. It will grip you into it's world and characters and the ending of the film will stick with you for days afterword. 

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment