Saturday, July 16, 2016

Movie Night- Ghostbusters (2016)

7/16/2016




Ghostbusters (2016)

Welcome to Movie Night with Brandon, which is basically my excuse to discuss and review any film I feel like. Whether it's a brand new film or an older one, it's whatever I feel like doing.  With all that out of the way, let's talk about some movies. 

Where do I even begin with a review like this? The most disliked movie trailer in YouTube history and a reboot of one of my favorite comedies ever made. While I try to go into every movie as objective as possible, there is an obvious amount of subjectivity when going in to see this film. Is it the worst film ever? No. Is it a comedy that is worthy of the Ghostbusters name? Not really. I have to state right now that I didn't hate this film and it's not the worst film ever. People who state that this film is the worst ever haven't seen many bad films. I wouldn't necessarily say I even liked this film, I feel fairly indifferent about Ghostbusters.

Let's talk about some of the things that worked or I respected about the film. The cast, while starting out sort of choppy, had fairly good chemistry with one another. You can feel the cast and crew having a genuine fun time filming. While I wasn't a fan of the ghosts appearance, I did respect their efforts to make them look different from the original films ghosts. While I wasn't a huge fan of the film, I do have some respect for what they tried to do. 

Now, let's talk about some of the negatives with this movie, and I'll try to remain as fair as possible. So many of the jokes for me did not land, and some of the jokes were pretty cringe-worthy to me. While I recognize that humor is fairly subjective, this review is my opinion. The original film had very dry humor and was delivered by some of the best comedic performers of the time. Another thing that seriously bothered me is some of the forced cameos and references to the original film. While I won't spoil them in this review, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you see the film. I found myself rolling my eyes at a few points at how unnatural it felt. Some of the performances also fell very flat as well, particularly that of Chris Hemsworth. Whether it was his performance or the writing of his character, he felt so outlandish that the suspension of disbelief went right out the window. I did mention earlier that the ghosts look was very courageous but it looked really, really ridiculous. And the third act of this film was just very over the top. While visually impressive, it felt hallow and lacked any dramatic tension. I wasn't emotionally invested in the third act at all and that was due to the lack of tension. 

While I wanted to go into more specifics about what bothered me, I want to keep my reviews spoiler free. This film didn't work for me all that well but I can see the appeal this film had. I don't even want to say this film is bad because I don't see it as a bad film. The budget and the respect was present but the executed film was not to my liking. I recommend you check out the film yourself and judge it on it's merits. I don't see the point of remaking this film in the first place. The point of a reboot is to make a better film than the original and they didn't come close.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment